You must have tasted and enjoyed unique, delicious, and creamy sauces and dishes made from eggs. Some of you must have also seen the process of making those sauces using an egg. But do you know what efforts do these tasty savories undergo to turn out mouthwatering? If no, then today we will talk about everyone’s favorite tempered eggs and tell you how an egg is turned creamy and delicious to serve as a topping on custards, puddings, etc.
Tempering means mixing two liquids or substances of different temperatures so that a smooth mixture is obtained. But when it comes to eggs, tempering is not so simple as it looks. It requires skill and experience to temper the egg properly.
But if you are new to this, do not worry; we will provide detailed instruction on how to temper an egg in the right way.
Tempered Eggs – What Does It Mean?
The warming of eggs slowly and cautiously before they can be used as the main ingredient of your dish or creamy sauce is termed the tempering of eggs.
Need To Temper Eggs
Tempering of eggs provides a thick and natural mixture to the recipe or any sauce. Apart from giving thickness, it also helps in delivering sweet and salty flavor to the dish.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to achieve a great thickened mixture of eggs for your recipe, and do not skip any of the steps as it will affect the result.
How To Temper Eggs? : The Process
It is as simple as counting 1, 2, 3, and you are done. Just follow these steps, and your sweet and creamy eggs will be ready for your next tasty recipe effortlessly.
● Boil stock/ milk/ cream/ broth, anyone which you want to use for the dish.
● In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs separately. The outcomes will vary depending on whether you use egg whites or egg yolks. However, sometimes the entire egg is used while tempering.
● Whisking continually, slowly pour in the previously boiled liquid in small quantities at a time. But the catch here is that the eggs should not scramble or cook because of the temperature of the liquid. So one has to be careful while doing this step as if the temp of the liquid is high, it will ruin the eggs.
● While maintaining the egg’s low temperature, continue whisking until the perfect thickness is achieved.
Made a Mistake While Tempering Eggs? No Problem.
If you have somewhat ruined your eggs, do not worry, corrections can be made. Let’s save your tempered eggs. Shall we? Just follow the process mentioned below-
Add the mixture to a blender and mix it at high speed. Any blender will work just fine. However, you need to make sure that the mixture is smooth and creamy. If the mixture is not smooth, then continue to blend it more until it is soft enough to be used.
Tempered Eggs In A Delightful Recipe
Here are few delicious recipes you can make using tempered eggs.
● Rice Pudding
Eggnog is a rich drink made from milk and egg staples. You heard it right, egg staples. It is so delicious that you can not resist having more.
It required only three ingredients- eggs, milk, and few common spices.
Below is the list of ingredients:
Egg Yolks – This is the main ingredient of the recipe. Make sure to add hot milk to make it thick.
Spices – You can make it sweet or spicy as per your taste and preference. Nutmeg, vanilla, clove, or cinnamon go beautifully with this drink to add some spicey flavor to it.
Milk/ Cream – For a better creamy texture, we suggest using whole milk and cream.
Holiday Cheer – Adding rum to it can enhance the taste and flavor. This is best suited for a family gathering or during the festive season.
Sweetener – Use sugar to make it a little bit sugary as per your taste buds. But if you want to cut on sugar, you can use any natural sweetener.
How To Make Eggnog? – The Recipe
● Make sure to keep whisking the egg yolks until the color changes to pale.
● Add warm milk to the bowl with egg yolks and temper the eggs. Also, do not forget to heat the milk and spices together for a better and rich flavor.
● The next step is to heat the mixture and immediately putting it in ice or a container full of ice for an ice bath.
● Last but not least, for taste and flavor richness, add spirits or flavor and freeze it overnight.
Rice pudding is a vanilla cream-based pudding that is thickened using rice. It is one of those desserts that we loved having in childhood and still love to have it whenever we get a chance. It is so delicious and creamy that you can not get enough of it. You have to agree with us on this!
How To Make Rice Pudding?- The Recipe
Add cinnamon, vanilla cream, and eggs to the warm simmer cooked rice. You can mix milk and sugar until a thick mixture is achieved.
Do not forget to temper the eggs and add them to the pudding only after the eggs get thick. Then, you have to add the eggs to the mixture, but make sure the rice mixture should not be boiling.
How To Temper the Eggs?
● Add cold milk to eggs
● The next step is to add the rice mixture (hot) to the milk and eggs mix.
● Put the warmed egg mixture into the rice pudding, stir well, and cook for another 2 minutes.
● Your favorite pudding is ready, but do not forget to add a scoop of your favorite ice cream on the top. Serve it with cream and enjoy this evergreen pudding.
Can It Be Frozen?
Yes, you can put the leftover rice pudding in the freeze, and it will, without any issue, last from about 3 to 4 days.
You can have it anytime by warming it using an oven or stove.
But the question is that can this yummy and creamy pudding be leftover? If by any chance it gets, you can freeze it for sure!