Did you know that hot dogs go way back to the 1800s in Germany? It’s Only later that Nathan Handwerker spread the delicacy across America.
Initially, an employee who sold buns and sausages, the savvy entrepreneur began his journey on a cart charging half of his former boss’s price. Within a short while, Nathans hotdog was a household name in America.
Well, that’s the brief history of your favorite delicacy.
Most people will have their hot dogs when they are in a celebration mood, but did you know that hot dogs have nutritional value? Yes, they comprise of:
- Vitamin B12- 30%DVI
- Fat -17g
Several Ways You Can Make Hot dogs
Forget buying your hotdogs over the counter in fast foods. Do you know you can prepare the same tasty hotdog at home in various ways? You can:
- Oven roast
Let’s look at each of these methods and how you use them to make hotdogs.
How to Make Hot dogs by Grilling
Are you looking for that smoky taste on your hot dogs? Then grilling is the way to go.
You need to have:
- Hot dogs (Precooked)
You also need to have your preferred toppings, like onions, chili, ketchup, coleslaw. Hot dogs are a flexible delicacy that you add to any topping.
1. Clean and Prepare Toppings
Ensure your working area is clean, including the grill. Wipe off the dust and dirt from the previous session, especially if you will be using a charcoal grill. Take note, however, that any grill works just fine while making your hotdogs.
Get your condiments ready. The onions slice them into small pieces, coleslaw, chili, and buns. Let all of them be within reach and ready.
2. Heat the grill
Heat your grill. Don’t heat the grill evenly. Let one side be cooler than the other, the reason being, you don’t want to overheat the hotdogs and burn them. It is easy with a gas grill as you just have to adjust the gas knob. For a charcoal grill, get the coal on one side of the grill.
Let your hotdogs rest on the cooler side of the grill for a while. Don’t leave their sight as you need to keep turning them after a few seconds to ensure they are evenly cooked on all sides. Mostly, each side will take up a minute before ready. Move the hotdogs to the hotter section of the grill in case you observe a delay in charring.
When ready, their physical appearance will change and appear charred.
Grilled hotdogs are best served hot. Slice up your bun into two, place your hotdog. Add all your preferred condiments and enjoy. The whole process won’t take more than 20 minutes.
How to Make Your Hot dogs by Boiling
This method of preparing your hotdogs is quite hands-off and easy.
Prepare yourself by having:
- Boiling pot
- Paper towel
In case you don’t want the hotdogs to crack, poke them all around. You could use a fork or any sharp kitchen knife to get you small openings.
1. Add water to your boiling pot and let it boil.
2. Add the hotdogs to the boiling water and boil for approximately 10 minutes, especially if you bought them frozen.
3. Adjust the heat downwards to a medium to allow the hotdogs to simmer.
4. Get your buns ready and any other topping you may wish to add for taste and flavor to your hotdog.
5. Remove the hotdogs from the boiling water with your tongs and carefully place them on the paper towels to dry.
Place the hotdogs on your buns and add your favorite topping. Enjoy while still hot.
How to Make Your Hot dogs by Frying
Under frying, you can choose to either deep fry or shallow fry. The process is similar only that under deep-frying, you require more cooking oil. In this case, we’ll be discussing the deep-frying process.
- Vegetable oil
- Deep frying pan
- Long handle scoop
- Paper towel
1. Fill ⅔” of your deep frying pan with vegetable oil and heat to 300F.
2. Using your tongs, slowly deep the hotdogs into the already hot oil. Only include enough depending on the size of your frying pan.
3. Keep turning the hotdogs after a few seconds to avoid burning. Turn until fully charred on all sides.
4. Remove the hotdogs and place them on the plate lined with paper towels to dry off the oil.
Hot dogs are best served hot. Place them on your ready buns, add your favorite toppings and enjoy.
How to Microwave Hot dogs
Using a microwave is the fastest way to have your hotdogs ready.
1. Get a glass or plastic bowl that can hold your number of hotdogs comfortably.
2. Fill up your bowl with water to about ⅔”. Leave some free space to allow the water enough room to boil.
3. Cook the hotdogs by placing the bowl in the microwave for four minutes
4. Remove the hotdogs from the microwave, and drain them for a minute by placing them on the paper towel-lined plates.
5. Use your tongs to place the hotdogs on the buns and add your chosen toppings and enjoy while hot.
There are so many recipes that can accompany the hotdogs. Some of the common recipes include:
- Sweet potatoes
- Dill pickles
- Pasta salad
- French fries
These are just a few ideas that have worked perfectly for me as side dishes for my hotdogs. However, the list is endless. You can customize any side dish and try out new things as you wish. The beauty of trial and error is that you can come up with a great recipe.
Mostly the hotdogs come precooked. How do you identify the best hotdogs from the flooded market?
What to Look out for When Buying Hot dogs
1. Go for natural hotdogs -Avoid hotdogs with too many additives and preservatives that are synthetic.
2. Check the label- Ensure you are ok, with the nutritional composition of your hotdogs. Go for those labeled “No byproduct.”
3. Avoid hotdogs with fillers- evaluate what the brand uses to hold the hotdog together.
4. Evaluate whether you could be allergic to any of the products that make up the hotdog. Preferably go for hotdogs with fewer calories and sodium levels.
Next time you plan to enjoy your hotdog, check out any of the methods highlighted above for the best results. Time can only be your guiding factor. Steaming and microwave are the fastest methods you can use to fix a quick, tasty hotdog recipe.