Bloody Mary is a colorful cocktail that is extremely popular due to its excellent mix of tomato, spices, vodka, and other flavors. Bloody Mary was introduced almost 100 years back and had several variants depending on the ingredients. The original base spirit used was vodka, whereas the newer variants include the use of any spirits like gin, tequila, bourbon, and more. The popularity has reached even the teetotallers who made a drink of their own called a Bloody Fairy made with absinthe. Let’s find the answer to “How to make a Bloody Mary with V8?”
Bloody Mary wouldn’t be a Bloody Mary if it were not for the sweet-sour taste. The sweet-sour taste of tomato lifts all the other flavors in the drink and makes it exceptional. All credit goes to the bartender who came up with this simple yet amazing twist to regular cocktails.
What is V8?
V8 is a trademarked name for a vegetable juice sold under different global labels. Its usually made from a combination of eight vegetables or a combination of fruits and vegetables. The original juice formulation was savory, with tomato juice being one of the key ingredients that gave flavor to it. The V8, therefore, tasted a combination of sweet, tart, sour, tangy yet balanced. Hence the name V8.
Bloody Mary is made with V8 as one of its key components rather than the usual tomato juice. The most important reason for using V8 is to guarantee the taste irrespective of the year’s season. It isn’t easy to control the taste if you are using fresh tomatoes to make the tomato juice, as they come with different levels of sourness. Because of V8, bartenders can have a definite measured recipe for the drink, which tastes the same every time. As a result, the quality and taste of the Bloody Mary are always the same time and again. This is the biggest benefit and why V8 is preferred all the time.
Now let’s look at how to make a Bloody Mary with v8.
How To Make A Bloody Mary With V8 – Simple Recipe At Home
- Prep: 3 mins
- Mix: 2 mins
- Total: 5 mins
- Serving: 1 serving
- Tall glass
- Long stirrer
List of ingredients
- 50 ml of any brand of vodka cold (skip the vodka for a virgin Bloody Mary)
- 240ml of the original V8® vegetable juice (cold)
- Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Tablespoon of fresh lemon or lime juice
- Splash of a hot chili sauce
- Teaspoon of horseradish
- Celery stalk
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- Mix the salt, chili powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Spread it out evenly on a flat surface.
- Similarly, spread the lime juice on a flat surface. Rub the top edge of the glass in the lime juice and do the same in the salt, chili, and paprika mix. The rim is now coated.
- Place 3-4 ice cubes in the glass till it is ½ full.
- Add the vodka, the V8 juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, and 1 splash of a hot chili sauce to a shaker and shake it well.
- Pour the mix into the tall glass. Garnish with celery or mint or lime, and enjoy it right away.
Several variations are available, and apart from the vodka, the rest of the ingredients and processes largely remain the same. However, users are free to experiment with ingredients and come up with customized options.
- Red Snapper: Red Snapper does not use vodka; instead, it’s made with gin to give a different twist.
- Bloody Fairy: Instead of alcohol, Absinthe is used with the same ingredients.
- Virgin Mary: replace the vodka with more tomato juice, V8, and Lemon juice.
- Bloody Shame: It is a different name given to Virgin Mary and is a non-alcoholic cocktail.