Grilling a Scallop
A scallop is a sea animal and lives in salty water. It is an edible animal that has a fan-shaped shell, and it swims by opening and closing the shell valves. A scallop is related to the oyster and the clams. The inner part of the scallop is the edible one. Nevertheless, the outer part is only the shell, and it is very hard. Moreover, the famous tiny bay scallop found on the East coast are the ones that are edible and easy to find.
Scallops, when raw, have an oceanlike smell. Moreover, it is best to eat the same day they are purchased. If not, you can preserve it in a refrigerator, but not for a long time.
You can store them in a zip-top bag and place them on an ice bag, or if you want to keep them for 2-3 months, you can wrap them in a plastic bag and store them in a freezer. Scallops, as small as they look, are rich in nutrients and minerals. Here is an image of scallops.
- A scallop is a source of anti-inflammatory.
- Scallops contain omega-three fatty acids, which help in balancing the cholesterol level, thus reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- Scallops have magnesium that helps in maintaining the heart in good condition.
- Magnesium also aids in the relaxation of the blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure and improving blood circulation.
- Scallops have zinc minerals that aids in the balancing of hormones and memory.
- Scallops have copper, which helps in the protection of the body from diabetes and heart diseases.
- Selenium found in the scallops helps in boosting the immune system and enabling the thyroid to function correctly.
- Scallops have vitamin B12, which plays a significant role in the brain and nervous system.
- Vitamin B12 in scallops helps in the lowering of homocysteine chemicals found in your body.
- Omega 3 fatty acid found in the scallops helps in the prevention of Ischemic stroke, and it is a condition whereby the brain lacks oxygen.
- Omega 3 fatty acid helps in the prevention of diseases such as deep vein thrombosis. It is a disease where blood clots accumulate in parts that are not required, such as thighs and legs, and it can lead to body pains.
- The Omega 3 fatty acids aids in controlling good cholesterol levels in the body.
- Omega 3 fatty acids in the scallops help in the protection of asthma attacks in children.
- Omega 3 fatty acids prevent certain cancers, colorectal cancer, from attacking the body by controlling the cells not to mutate.
- Consuming scallops that have omega-3 fatty acids will slow down the aging process in your body.
- If you seem to have negative or low moods, you need to take scallops to activate your spirits and have a tremendous and joyous mood.
- Scallops, due to their richness in nutrients and minerals, help to protect you from arthritis.
- Scallop contains iron, which protects you from the risk of getting Insomnia.
- Iron and zinc help in the production of red blood cells, and these two minerals are present in scallops. Nevertheless, omega 3 fatty acids in the scallops help to reduce the levels of cytokines which brings about depression.
- If you are in weight loss management, you need to eat seafood, and scallops are best for you as it is low in calories and fats.
- Scallops taken when broiled or baked helps in reducing the risk of atrial fibrillation. It is a condition of irregular heart rate due to insufficient flow of blood.
- The shells of the scallops can make beauty products. The cover is grinded into powder form, and you can make a facemask out of the powder.
- Scallop shells, when in powder form, are used to treat acne and as an exfoliator. Scallop shells help in controlling the oil in the pores, especially on the face area.
Having seen that scallops are beneficial to human consumption, you can prepare the grilled scallops and enjoy.
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Remove the scallops from the shell by cutting the muscle part to open up the shells
- Clan them off carefully with running water.
- Place them in a clean bowl.
- Take a clean, dry kitchen cloth and pat them dry to remove excess water from the scallops.
- Pour olive oil on the scallops.
- Sprinkle some garlic powder the scallops to the meat.
- Add black pepper to the scallops.
- Add sea salt to taste.
- Mix them using your hands. (you should always clean your hands before you start cooking).
- Let them rest for 1 hour .you can place them in the refrigerator.
- After 1 hour is over, remove them from the refrigerator and start the grilling process.
- Pour olive oil on the grill pan to avoid the scallops from sticking into the pan.
- Let leave them for 2-3 minutes for them to turn brown.
- Flip them and let the other side brown too.
- When all sides are brown, place them on a plate.
- Ready to eat.
- You can add some garnish on top of it. (optional).
Seafood meat can be dangerous and toxic to the human body when taken in excess. Therefore, here are side effects you need to check for as you eat scallops.
- Some people may experience allergies when consuming scallop meat in excess—developing symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting, hives over their body, dizziness, and confusion, shortness of breath, severe coughing, swollen tongues and lips, pale skin, to mention a few.
- Scallops intake in excess can cause gout due to purine in it.
- Seafood, e.g., scallops, need to be cooked well. Otherwise, it will result in vibrio infection.
- Sea animals may have heavy metals, e.g., mercury, in them due to water pollution.
Take caution as you enjoy your scallops.