One thing I would like to tell you is grill is not always the option. Sometimes you may crave bratwurst but do not cook it just because it takes time to grill. Also, there’s no need to worried about it as I come up with the idea of how to cook bratwurst in the oven. So, you can quickly cook it whenever you do not want to grill up. Oven-baked bratwurst quickly, and the taste will be as delicious as grilled bratwurst.
What are Bratwursts?
German bratwurst is a mixture of pork or veal and spices like nutmeg, ginger, coriander, or caraway. There are several other sausages like chicken, turkey, Italian sausages, and sweet or spicy sausages.
How to Cook Bratwurst in the Oven?
It’s easy! Just follow these steps:
- First of all, you should preheat the oven to about 400 F, also place the pan in the preheated oven for better cooking of bratwurst. The pan should be lined with aluminum foil to prevent the brat from adhering to the pan. You can also use any other sheet. The sheet should be big enough so that brats will not touch each other.
- It’s time to carefully take the baking pan out from the oven and arrange the brats in a single layer. Place the pan on top of the burner or a high-temperature mat on the counter with the bratwurst. Make sure that brats are not touching each other.
- Make sure the brats achieve a temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit on the inside. The bratwursts must reach a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit to be cooked appropriately. To check the temperature, insert an instant-read food thermometer into the thickest area of the sausage. Smaller brats may only require 30 minutes of cooking time, whereas larger brats may require an hour or more.
- Allow the brats to cool down for 5-7 minutes. The liquids in meat tend to lean toward the center as it cooks. Allowing the bratwurst to rest for 5-7 minutes allows the juices to disperse throughout the meat, resulting in a tasty and juicy brat. Bratwurst can store for 3-4 days in an air-tight container or freeze for two months.
How to cook Frozen Bratwurst in Oven?
The method to cook frozen bratwurst is the same as mentioned above. You need to add 15-20 extra minutes and let them cook properly in the oven.
Beer Brat in the Oven
Either marinate them in beer for 30 minutes to an hour before baking them, or you can bake them as directed. Alternatively, slice some onions and put them in the baking tray with the raw brats. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees Celsius in a preheated oven. Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, uncovered until they cooked thoroughly. Check the temperature inside.
You can broil them for a prettier color in the last few minutes of cooking, but take care of them, so they do not burn.
Serving with Bratwurst
Bratwurst is generally served with sauerkraut, German potato salad, sliced and sautéed bell pepper, onions, buns or rolls, stone ground mustard, and beer (often, German pilsner). Ales and lagers go nicely with bratwurst.
Benefits of Using Oven for Bratwurst
Here are some of the benefits of using oven over grill:
- There would be no mess. You do not have to clean dishes afterward. You have to clean one pan sheet, which is relatively easier.
- This method is safer than the grilled one. There is no need to check sausages again and again. You need to check once or maybe twice.
- When grilling sausages in a pan, they may burn on the outside while still being raw on the inside. You don’t want to eat burnt but uncooked brats, either. When baking them, all you have to do is preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- There would be less work when you cooked in the oven. You don’t have to constantly turn the bratwurst in the pan to ensure even cooking. It will be sufficient to turn once at halftime.
- This method allows you to prepare more brats than frying them in a pan. Place as many as you need on the tray, and if you’re cooking for a large group, use a second tray.
- You may bake the sides and brats together in the oven. Add some vegetables to the baking pan, such as onions, peppers, fennel, and cauliflower, or bake the vegetables on a separate tray in the same oven.
How To Cook Bratwurst In The Oven – Frequently Asked Questions
Here I have mentioned some frequently asked questions and their answers to better understand how to cook bratwurst in the oven.
Is it healthy to cook sausages in the oven?
Sausages can be prepared in a variety of ways. Boiling and baking are the healthiest cooking methods because they don’t use much oil. Pan- and stir-frying, on the other hand, are good options if you use a healthy oil. On the other hand, deep-frying is the least nutritious method due to the fat and calories.
How is bratwurst different than sausages?
Sausages are raw meat preparation that comes in dry or fresh variations and sell in casings as links or in bulk. Fresh link sausage produced with pork or veal is known as bratwurst.
How long it takes bratwurst to cook in the oven?
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place brats 1 inch apart on a sheet pan coated with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, rotating Brats once, or until internal link temperature reaches 160°F and sausage is browned.
Baking brats is a beautiful alternative if the weather is not good and you cannot grill or if your grill is packed full of hot dogs and burgers for a party. Furthermore, cooking brats in the oven provides several advantages. It takes around 20-25 minutes to make great brats. So, please try this at home.