A strawberry shortcake is a wonderfully delicious treat. Mostly had as a dessert, you can consume it any time of the day or night as a snack or a side dish. It is paired up with a fruit juice or smoothie. It’s even more healthy. The strawberry shortcake recipe has always been quick and straightforward, and that has been one of its most appealing factors. A few minutes and you are done. You can make one in lesser time than going to the closest bakery or ordering from one.
A traditional strawberry shortcake recipe will always include only the following essential ingredients: strawberries, flour, butter milk, and cream. That’s it. At the same time, the preparation may vary from region to region. The shortcake is a slightly soft bread that is expected to be crumbly and prepared using baking soda or baking powder in the US. In the UK, it is a firm biscuit that is crunchier. Therefore it’s referred to as shortbread in the US and shortcake in the UK. A strawberry shortcake cake recipe follows the same process, adding strawberries for additional flavor and color.
In this recipe today, we will teach you how to make a strawberry shortcake recipe from scratch.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Here we’ll show the ingredients you need to make strawberry shortcake and instructions you need to follow. Also, in the end there’s some special tips for perfection.
For preparing the Whipped Cream
- Fresh strawberries – around 6 cups and sliced or quartered
- Heavy cream – 1 cup or 240ml
- Granulated sugar – 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons (75g), both separated
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 tsp.
For preparing the Biscuits
- Any all-purpose flour – 2 and 3/4 cups (345g), both separated
- Buttermilk – 1 cup (240ml)
- Butter – 3/4 cup (180g) preferably unsalted, cold, and cubed
- Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 4 teaspoons
- Granulated sugar – 1/4 cup (50g) and some amount of coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Heavy cream – 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I recommend acceptable sea salt)
- Set the oven to preheat at 400°F – 425°F. This will take time, and we will continue with the other parts of the recipe.
- We need to macerate the strawberries first. Mix the strawberries and the 1/4th cup of granulated sugar in a bowl. This should take about 30 – 40 minutes while the strawberries release their wonderful juices, not more. You can set this bowl aside for now.
- Take a large bowl and pour all the ingredients into the dough. This will include all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix this well until incorporated. You can use a mixer or food processor to help with the mixing and kneading. Now add to this mix the butter cubes and buttermilk slowly and steadily. Let the mixer or food processor work through the ingredients as you keep pouring the buttermilk. Ensure that there are no lumps formed. Carefully knead it all well together. Neatly fold all the ingredients together to form a nice soft dough but don’t overdo it. You will need to knead it with your hands on the kitchen table or flat surface to give it a good finish.
- Now flatten the dough and use a cookie or biscuit cutter to cut the dough into shapes. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also do this manually without a cookie cutter. You can make them into a round or square shape as you want. Ensure the pieces are kept not too far from each other on the parchment paper as they will help each further rise. Ideally, the biscuits should be touching each other.
- Repeat for all the pieces until the dough is finished. If you have a small baking sheet, do not overcrowd them and send the remaining to the next batch.
- The biscuits are now ready. Send them to the oven and let them back for 18 – 20 minutes. They will be ready when the top crust appears golden brown and they smell wonderful when you open the oven door. Transfer them to the cooling rack to cool down uniformly for 8 – 10 minutes. To make the biscuits even more appealing, you can sprinkle the top with sugar or brush with buttermilk or butter.
- Take another large bowl and add the ingredients for the whisked cream. These will be the heavy cream, the 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and vanilla. Whisk this in a whisker or a mixer for 3 – 4 minutes until you see soft peaks appear. Be careful and don’t overdo this process.
- By now, the biscuits would have cooled down. You can slice the biscuits in half and use strawberries and strawberries and whipped cream to layer.
That’s it. Your strawberry shortcake cake recipe is now complete. Don’t keep the strawberries and topping on the biscuits for too long because they may become soggy and lose all the appeal. This is a straightforward strawberry shortcake recipe from scratch. It uses all the traditional strawberry shortcake recipe ingredients, and you can add some more, like experiment with a few other berries and some chocolate topping.
- You can make the biscuits 2 – 3 days in advance. However, the other ingredients must be fresh. You can keep the biscuits out at room temperature for 1 – 2 days, keep them in the fridge for a week, or freeze them for up to 3 months. Let the biscuits thaw fully before using. Prepare the whipped cream up to 1 day in advance. Store both in the refrigerator.
- Buttermilk gives a nice tangy flavor to the entire recipe. However, you can replace it with whole milk as well.
Related strawberry recipes:
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe – Final Words
That’s it. I hope the information in the article has been helpful. Your strawberry shortcake is ready. Though we explained it in a lot of detail to get it right the first time around, trust us, it’s so easy; even the kids can manage it. And it’s so unbelievably quick compared to its taste. It’s a treat indeed, free from chemicals and preservatives and cooked using the best quality ingredients available at home. We always wondered why people don’t make it at home.